Before there was a company, there was a drink. Antoine Peychaud, a Creole immigrant, operated a pharmacy on the French Quarter’s Royal Street in 1838. With his background as an apothecary, he was a natural mixologist. His friends would gather for late-night revelry at his pharmacy. Peychaud would mix brandy, absinthe and a dash of his secret bitters for his guests. Later this quaff would come to be known as the Sazerac.
After the drink, there was the bar. The cocktail immediately spread in popularity at the city’s finest coffee houses, which was the term for drinking establishments during the mid-1800s. However, the cocktail is most strongly associated with the wildly popular Sazerac Coffee House located on Exchange Alley. In 1850, the owner Sewell Taylor institutionalized the drink at his coffee house by using only Sazerac de Forge et Fils brandy, which he imported and sold exclusively. The Sazerac cocktail received its name from this coffee house, where it was most often imbibed.
The Sazerac Company was founded in 1869 by Thomas H. Handy. In the 1890’s his company began to bottle and market the Sazerac Cocktail and has since distilled an ever-growing amount of spirits. Today, Sazerac is an independent, American Family owned company and proud owners of America’s most venerable distilling companies – Buffalo Trace Distillery, A. Smith Bowman, Glenmore Distillery, Barton, Fleischmann, Medley and Mr. Boston.
B&B Distributors carries the following Fermented Spirits from the Sazerac Company:
- Stroyski Vodka – Clean, neutral flavor perfect for mixing in a variety of classic and creative cocktails.
- Flash Point – Intense fresh ground cinnamon and cinnamon candies with Vanilla, caramel and whisky in the background. Sweet, full bodied with a slight cinnamon burn in the finish.
- Old Westbury Gin – Citrus forward with orange aroma and flavor balanced with mild juniper. Refreshing and crisp.
- Icebox – Margarita Lime and Margarita Peach flavors.
- Caribe Bay Silver Label Rum – Mild sweetness with hints of ripe strawberry, brown sugar, and molasses.
- Caribe Bay Island Spiced Rum – Aromatic spice on the nose. Notes of dried fruit, vanilla, and subtle oak.
- Hobble Creek Whiskey – Deliciously balanced with hints of caramel corn, oak, vanilla, dried fruit, and cocoa.
- Vera Cruz Especial Tequila – Roasted green chili, black pepper, agave, and apple.
- Smash – Grape, Watermelon, Banana and Strawberry flavors.